Town of
Western
 History 


Library



 Western Town Library 

By

Russell G. Marriott





Built in 1941 in the Colonial Revival style, this building served as a local school for grades 1-8, with grades 9-12 bussed to Rome. The land on which this structure was built was part of the William Floyd Estate. William Floyd was a signer of the Declaration of Independence from New York State and his 1803 home lies across Main Street from the Library.

In 1957, the school consolidated with the Rome School System and was serving only kindergarten classes when it closed in 1972. The building was taken over by the Town and converted to the Town Library and offices for Codes and Assessment. The copula served as the design for the town of Western official logo.


© 2017 Town Of Western, New York

Email: webmaster@townofwestern-ny.org